In case you didn’t get the memo, Google has changed the Android Auto app with Google Assistant’s driving mode. So long as you’ve a fairly up-to-date Android smartphone, you should use the driving mode in Google Assistant—and also you don’t have to obtain it by way of the Play Retailer like Android Auto.
In case you’re not conversant in the driving mode in Google Assistant, carry on studying to learn the way to make use of it.
What Is Google Assistant Driving Mode?
Google Assistant driving mode was first introduced on the 2019 Google I/O convention and launched internationally in 2021. Based on Google, if you wish to use the driving mode in Google Assistant, you could have a smartphone with 4GB of RAM put in with Android 9.0 model and above.
Not like Android Auto, which must be appropriate with particular vehicles and stereos, Google Assistant driving mode can work with any car. It’s because you don’t have to mirror your smartphone’s show to your car’s infotainment display in the event you’re utilizing driving mode in Google Assistant. Nevertheless, you possibly can activate that choice if you need.
One other good thing about driving mode is you can management the interface utilizing voice instructions; this helps to keep away from distracted driving. Even in the event you obtain a textual content message or an incoming name, Google Assistant can learn it out for you with out disrupting the navigation display.
In fact, you may as well entry media apps reminiscent of YouTube, Spotify, VLC, and Google Podcasts when utilizing Google Assistant driving mode. However in comparison with Android Auto, the apps on Google Assistant driving mode are fewer (much less cluttered) with larger playing cards, so that you don’t get simply distracted. Driving mode is only one of many options in Google Assistant which might be price exploring.
If you wish to entry driving mode in Google Assistant, there are just a few alternative ways you might go about it. Let’s take a look at three of them.
Tips on how to Launch Driving Mode Utilizing a Voice Command
You may activate driving mode in Google Assistant by means of a voice command. Here is what it’s important to do.
- Open the Google Assistant app in your Android cellphone.
- Say “Hey Google, let’s drive”. Alternatively, you possibly can say “Hey Google, launch driving mode”.
- When you’ve accessed the driving mode in Google Assistant, you possibly can navigate to the app part and faucet the shortcut icon. It ought to learn Add Driving mode to residence display.
- After you’ve set it up, it is possible for you to to entry driving mode in Google Assistant instantly from your private home display.
Tips on how to Launch Driving Mode Mechanically
You too can set driving mode to begin as quickly as you join your cellphone to your automotive’s Bluetooth system, or whenever you begin driving.
- Open the Google Assistant app in your Android cellphone.
- Say “Hey Google, take me to Assistant settings”.
- Alternatively, you possibly can open your cellphone’s settings, scroll down and choose Google.
- Subsequent, select the Settings for Google apps choice, and faucet Search, Assistant & Voice to search out Google Assistant settings.
- Scroll down and faucet Transportation and select the Driving mode choice on the backside of your display.
- If you would like driving mode to launch routinely, you possibly can choose Launch driving mode below When linked to your automotive’s Bluetooth. Additionally, you possibly can select the Ask earlier than launching choice below When driving is detected.
In addition to that, the driving mode settings provide the choice to permit or ignore incoming calls and textual content notifications whenever you’re driving.
Tips on how to Launch Driving Mode Via Google Maps
Your third choice for utilizing driving mode is in the event you’re navigating in Google Maps. You should activate this function first.
- In Google Maps, go to Settings > Navigation settings > Google Assistant settings and toggle on When Navigating in Google Maps.
- Open Google Maps and sort in your vacation spot within the search field.
- Faucet the Begin navigation choice, and Google Assistant driving mode will launch.
Tips on how to Use Google Assistant Driving Mode
If you launch Google Assistant driving mode, you’ll discover it has three icons on the backside of the display. If you wish to provoke a voice command, you possibly can faucet the microphone icon on the backside left. The icon on the middle takes you again to the house display, and the icon within the backside proper (the 4 bins) allows you to entry the apps accessible in driving mode.
For the reason that app’s goal is to keep away from distracted driving, it has a minimalist consumer interface. Extra succinctly, the apps supported on driving mode are restricted to calls, messages, Google Maps, and media (Spotify, VLC, YouTube Music, Podcasts, and many others.). This implies you can’t entry your entire favourite apps whilst you’re utilizing the interface, however you possibly can all the time exit the driving mode to entry any app in your Android smartphone.
If you wish to make a cellphone name, you possibly can say “Hey Google, I need to make a name”. Equally, you possibly can say “Hey Google, I need to ship a message”, or “Hey Google, play (your favourite tune) on Spotify”. Principally, you possibly can management all the things in Google Assistant driving mode by means of voice instructions with out getting your fingers off the steering wheel. If it doesn’t reply routinely, you possibly can nonetheless faucet the microphone icon.
When you’re executed driving, you possibly can exit the driving mode by tapping the car icon on the prime proper of your display.
Right here is how one can learn to arrange Google Assistant on Android and iOS.
Google Assistant Driving Mode Is Right here to Keep
We’ve used driving mode in Google Assistant, and we predict it’s very simple to navigate whenever you’re behind the wheel. Additionally, the truth that you don’t have to mirror it to your automotive’s infotainment show makes it much more handy, particularly in the event you’re driving a car that’s not appropriate with Android Auto.
To not neglect, Google has discontinued Android Auto for cellphone screens and changed it with Google Assistant’s driving mode. The sooner you learn to use it, the better will probably be for you.