Gboard is the world’s hottest cellular keyboard. It comes pre-installed on all Android units and is the keyboard of alternative for billions of individuals. You may not have bothered to go to its settings earlier than since it really works positive from the get-go, however there are methods you can also make it a bit extra helpful.
On this information, we’ll go over some key Gboard settings you need to change instantly.
1. Cut back the Key Lengthy-Press Delay
You may know the way long-pressing a key opens a small pop-up menu in your keyboard the place you possibly can entry extra related keys. As an example, for those who long-press a vowel, you possibly can see the variations of that letter with totally different accent marks. Lengthy-pressing the interval key exhibits you a bunch of different symbols and particular characters.
Since long-pressing a secret’s such a typical factor to do when utilizing the keyboard, it is a good suggestion to cut back the delay between your keypress and the menu popping up. Here is easy methods to do it:
- Launch Gboard and go to Settings > Preferences.
- Scroll down and faucet Key lengthy press delay.
- Regulate the delay utilizing the slider in keeping with what you discover essentially the most becoming, then faucet OK.
The delay is about to 300 milliseconds by default. You possibly can cut back it all the way down to 100 milliseconds or enhance it as much as 700 milliseconds. The decrease the delay, the extra time you may save on every long-press.
2. Present the Emoji Key to Entry Emojis Faster
By default, the best way to entry emojis on Gboard is by long-pressing the comma key beside the spacebar. However that may find yourself taking a whole lot of further time for those who use emojis incessantly when typing.
Fortunately, you possibly can set your Google keyboard to point out the emoji key individually for fast entry. Simply go to Settings > Preferences and toggle on Present emoji change key. Now, once you launch the keyboard once more, you may see a separate emoji key beside the comma key. To make room for this, the spacebar will shrink in measurement only a tiny bit.
3. Enhance Your Auto-Appropriate Settings
A wonderful thing about Gboard is the way it learns your utilization sample over time. This enables it to make extra correct corrections and provide you with higher options when typing. There are a complete set of small however nifty textual content correction settings you possibly can tweak on Gboard. You possibly can entry these within the Textual content correction menu.
Some helpful textual content correction settings you need to toggle on are:
- Present suggestion strip
- Subsequent-word options
- Undo auto-correct on backspace
- Double-space interval
4. Make Glide Typing Simpler
Just like textual content correction, there are two glide typing settings you need to try. You possibly can entry these within the Glide typing menu. These are:
- Present gesture path: Creates a line that follows the motion of your finger gliding throughout the keyboard. This helps enhance accuracy when writing. You could have glide typing turned on to have the ability to use this setting.
- Allow gesture delete: Rapidly delete a number of phrases by sliding left from the delete key. The farther you slide your finger throughout the display, the extra phrases get chosen; then, carry your finger to delete. This helps save time by not having to long-press the delete key to delete one letter at a time.
5. Add Phrases to Your Private Dictionary
You may know and use some phrases in your day by day life that your Google keyboard does not acknowledge and may subsequently not predict once you’re glide-typing. And it is actually annoying to need to kind these phrases letter-by-letter, solely to then have auto-correct change it to one thing else solely.
To unravel this, you might want to train Gboard to acknowledge these phrases. You are able to do this by including phrases to your private dictionary. Here is the way it works:
- Go to Settings > Dictionary > Private dictionary and choose your most popular language.
- On the prime nook, faucet on the Add (+) button.
- On the next display, kind the phrase you wish to add.
- For added comfort, it’s also possible to add a shortcut to your added phrases in the event that they’re lengthy or exhausting to glide-type. As an example, the identify “Hillary Meadows” can have “hime” because the shortcut. Now, once you glide-type the shortcut in your keyboard, it should routinely write the complete phrase for you.
You may as well use shortcuts as a technique to rapidly kind e-mail addresses, net addresses, and even full sentences. As an example, “[email protected]” might be “ajmuo”. Equally, “Are you free this weekend?” might be “freeweek”. Keep in mind, all the time use made-up phrases as shortcuts.
6. Improve Your Clipboard
Underneath the Clipboard menu, activate the next two settings:
- Present just lately copied textual content and pictures in options bar: While you copy a passage of textual content or a picture, Gboard will present it to you as a pill-shaped button within the options bar the subsequent time you open the keyboard, so you possibly can faucet it and rapidly paste the copied merchandise into the textual content area. This helps save time by not having to long-press the textual content area and choose Paste each time.
- Save current screenshots in clipboard: While you take a screenshot in your gadget, Gboard will reserve it within the clipboard and present you a button to stick it immediately into the textual content area.
You may as well set Gboard to cover addresses and cellphone numbers from the clipboard. Merely toggle off the characteristic from the identical menu.
The contents of your clipboard are auto-deleted after one hour. To avoid wasting an merchandise, long-press it and faucet Pin.
7. Get Emoji and Sticker Solutions
Lastly, you may get options for emojis and stickers, or entry extra rapidly those you employ most. Underneath the Emojis, Stickers & GIFs menu, toggle on the next settings:
- Emoji fast-access row: Provides an additional row on prime of the keyboard, exhibiting standard and most incessantly used emojis.
- Predictive content material search: Gboard will counsel related GIFs, emojis, and stickers primarily based in your textual content.
- Emoji Stickers: Suggests related stickers primarily based on the emojis you choose.
Make Gboard Assist You Talk Higher
Gboard works nice from day one and its default settings are very user-friendly. However if you wish to get essentially the most use out of it, turning on the above settings can assist you save time, specific your self higher, and barely enhance your productiveness. There are different settings as properly that you just may wish to mess around with and see how properly they be just right for you.
Gboard is only one of many standard Google apps put in in your cellphone. Among the many others, there are some very helpful widgets which are value placing on your private home display.
6 Actually Helpful Google Widgets to Add to Your Android House Display screen
About The Writer